Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Rose Parade Adventures

So sorry this is being posted almost two weeks after it occurred, but life has been so hectic!
Anywhoo...! I was not able to have a proper New Year's Eve because I had to wake up at 4am on January 1st to watch the Rose Parade.


Growing up in Southern California, I was always aware of the Rose Parade, but I never knew it was so famous around the world...it was just always there!


4am is sooo early! It was so dark outside that it made me want to go back inside and sleep for a few more hours..."Maybe I would just watch the parade on TV?" That thought was quickly squashed though as one of my cousins was going to be in the parade.
My family and I decided to drive to the outskirts of Pasadena, park in a metro parking lot, and take the metro into Old Town Pasadena where the parade takes place. We did not want to dare driving into the heart of Pasadena on the morning of the Rose Parade, and figured this would be the least stressful way to travel.
It totally was!



I would highly recommend it to people going to the Rose Parade in the future, and if you can try buying your $5 day pass before the big day as the line for the machines was crazy!
Riding the train brought back so many fond memories of living in London. I miss riding a train everyday and people watching.




It was a bit of a walk to the grandstands, but it was so awesome seeing this sight. I had no idea that they shut down a part of the freeway for vans and buses.

Sarah and I having a little fun during the last bit of our walk!


Finally we got to our seats which were across the street from the Norton Simon Museum.



After waiting for what seemed like forever snuggled in our jackets and blankets, the Rose Parade finally started!


























































My cousin was in the Color Guard for Caramel High School for Caramel, Indiana and it was so exciting when they finally got to us!














Natalie Cole!! "This is will be..an everlasting love! This will be...the one I'm waiting for..."





Newlyweds!







KC & The Sunshine Band!! "Shake your groove thing!"


The finale leading up to the Rose Bowl later that day!


Because of our seats in the grandstands, it took ages for us to exit onto Colorado Blvd. The two hours it took for the parade to end flew by, but my stomach rumbles were a constant reminder that I had not had anything to eat that whole morning.
My mum knew of a place in Pasadena that sells buns with melted butter in the middle.


Thankfully PappaRich (http://www.papparichusa.com/) was open and very close to where we had been sitting.
They have four flavors of buns (as well as an assortment of pastries and sandwiches): Mocha, Chocolate, Milk, and Cheese).


My mum kept saying that the mocha was the best while the milk bun had no real flavor to it, but I really wanted to try the cheese flavor. They described it as every cheese lover's dream. "Well...I love cheese..." I thought. Boy was I wrong!




After a few zealous bites I started to realize that I did not taste anything but butter! This may not always be a bad thing, but I was so hungry and so disappointed in the lack of cheese flavor that I really did not find any real enjoyment in the bun.


My sister had the chocolate bun and loved it...the rest of my family had the mocha bun and loved it!
Guess I was the only unlucky one...
So did I enjoy my time at the Rose Parade? Yes I did!
Would I go again? Nope! Once was enough, but I would highly recommend for everyone to go at least once in their life.



No comments:

Post a Comment