Friday, August 8, 2014

Flashback Friday: An Amazing Summer in London

Two years ago this summer I was having the best time of my life!


It was the Summer of 2012 and I was living in London going through the last few months of Grad school. Not only was London hosting the Olympics that summer, but it was also the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.


I got two days off work for it and I wanted to catch as many events as I could.

I woke up really early one morning and made my way to the river Thames to watch the flotilla. It was probably one of the coldest days I had ever experienced, but I soon forgot all about it.

My friends and I situated ourselves close to the river and near a big screen that showed all of the royal action.








I couldn't believe all that I was able to see from my spot near the river. 

I saw the Queen and Prince Phillip as well as Prince Charles, Duchess Camilla, Prince William, Duchess Kate, and Harry.

It was simply amazing.




I even got my first Boris Johnson sighting!! 


He's standing on the far left next to Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice. 


Two days later we were at it again, but this time at Buckingham Palace for the balcony appearance. 


We got to The Mall early and waited patiently for the Royals...it took a few hours, but we were entertained the whole time.



Marching bands went up and down The Mall playing for hours. 


I fell in love with the British even more during that weekend...they were so organized with these events that they even had food stands everywhere!

I could have gotten some fish & chips if I wanted some. 


Finally our hours of waiting paid off...the Royal Family where coming down The Mall! As the Royal Family was came down everyone's cameras came up perfectly blocking my view...





This is the only photo where you can see part of a Royal...that's Camilla in the carriage on the right with the hat.


As soon as they were there in front of me they were then gone from my sight! 

Once the whole Royal Family passed by, we quickly made our way to the queue to get a better view of the balcony.


We finally got a spot...some what blocked by a stage from the concert the night before, but we had a perfect spot for the flyby.






There's Camilla, Charles, the Queen, William, and Kate on the balcony. 


It started raining on us right before the balcony appearance and then continued to rain as we waited to leave Buckingham Palace.

I was able to spot some familiar faces to us Americans while we waited to leave...

Meredith Vieira anyone? Or maybe the back of Matt Lauer?


It was an enchanting weekend that was the beginning of one of the most epic colds I have ever had in my life. It has since been dubbed the "Jubilee Cold" by friends and family, but come on...it was so worth it!

Next week I'll be posting about my London Olympic activities. Until then...

x Kate

1 comment:

  1. Seems like an awesome day!!!!

    http://the-haute-strawberry.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete